Garth Brooks put America first when he turned down Donald Trump’s inauguration

Ordinarily, performing at a Presidential inauguration brings the kind of career boosting public exposure that a musician salivates over. And if you’re someone like Garth Brooks, who is still popular but whose commercial peak came twenty years ago, it’s a golden opportunity for boosting album and concert sales. And it appears that for a moment, Brooks was tempted to say yes to the invitation to perform at Donald Trump’s inauguration. But to his immense credit, he’s turning it down.

The temptation for Garth Brooks must have been tremendous. Sure, he’d have faced some pushback over it and might have lost some fans along the way. But he’s a country musician, and despite his crossover appeal, the largest chunks of his audience are – demographically speaking – Donald Trump supporters to begin with. He just launched a career spanning box set called The Ultimate Collection last month, which Billboard says is off to a strong start, and a stately high profile television appearance could have done wonders for sales.

Additionally, according to entertainment publication The Wrap, the Trump campaign has been offering everything from cash to ambassador positions in the name of trying to land A-list performers for the inauguration – meaning that Brooks could have likely scored ongoing favors from the Trump administration simply by showing up and singing a song or two.

But after initially publicly hinting that he might be willing to perform at Trump’s inauguration, Garth Brooks is now officially turning it down, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Brooks and his camp aren’t offering a reason, but it seems obvious enough: even though much of his audience may believe in what Trump is selling, he does not.

Garth Brooks is the rare country artist with openly liberal political leanings, and he’s been expressing them in his music ever since he first stood up for gay rights back in the nineties. While he never spoke up for or against any candidate in this election, it’s incredibly unlikely that he supported Donald Trump or any other Republican candidate. And so Brooks appears to be simply doing what he thinks is right, rather than doing what he thinks is right for his career. That’s the kind of patriotism we should all aspire to.

If you appreciate the investigative reporting of Palmer Report, consider making a contribution:

Support us: PayPalGoFundMe
Bill Palmer is the founder and editor in chief of the political news outlet Palmer Report

Keep up to date with the latest Palmer Report articles via email.
Get the latest content first.
We respect your privacy.

27 Comments

1. Claudia Groh on December 15, 2016 at 1:58 pm

So proud of him!
    Need more famous people to take a stand !
    Thank you so being strong!

• Andrea Battle on December 19, 2016 at 6:17 am

I admired Garth Brooks before this. I kike his whole persona. May he prosper always….A Black Garth Brooks fan!

2. Valerie Edwards on December 15, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Way to go, Garth!

3. Andrew on December 15, 2016 at 7:49 pm

Bravo Garth

4. Cheryl on December 16, 2016 at 9:33 am

Good for Garth!

5. Janet Johnson on December 16, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Thank you Garth Brooks and anyone else that refusing to participate.

6. mecca trotter-roeaer on December 16, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I’m so proud of Garth Brooks. He stood up for America and most importantly what he feels right in his heart.

7. clare elliott on December 17, 2016 at 12:08 am

very proud.Have to teach this dictator a lesson.

8. Billy Grabarkowitz on December 17, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Maybe they can get Clint Eastwood to talk to an empty chair. That’s A list entertainment. Perhaps Ted Nugent and Drumpf can rape a minor together while Teddy Boy shit his pants, I’m sure that would be entertaining.

• Adrienne Foster on December 19, 2016 at 3:28 am

but wait what about his big friend Kanye? LMFAO! rotfl

9. Analydia M. Scoggin on December 17, 2016 at 2:05 pm

This whole thing is showing that many Americans are interested in the TRUTH. This helps me be proud to be an American.
    I believe that the American government must be a government for the people, by the people and of the people. (I am paraphrasing)
    Rigged elections must be illegal and there should be a recall after an investigation of all these charges

10. June Hall on December 17, 2016 at 6:46 pm

I am happy to hear Garth Brooks said No! Donald Trump is learning He isn’t as popular as he thinks!

11. June Hall on December 17, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Honorable man, Garth Brooks!

12. Charmaine Keller on December 17, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Yeah, but he probably alienated his real base of customers. Although, I still have that line stuck in my head….”I got friends in looooow places…”

13. Pam Tappan on December 18, 2016 at 9:31 am

True patriot Garth Brooks. Thank you.

14. Rochelle on December 18, 2016 at 10:49 am

Awesome! Follow your heart!

15. Sherry Ann on December 18, 2016 at 1:12 pm

I think I’ll buy my first Garth Brooks C.D.

16. Rene Marie on December 18, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Good for Garth Brooks stand up for what you believe and this man I cannot believe this country voted him in here he’s a racist he’s a womanizer and he has a tramp for a wife and y’all have the nerve to talk out of Michelle and Barack give me a break people this country is headed towards self-destruction at the hands of a bigot

17. Jen on December 18, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Although not a traditional country music fan, I will support Garth Brooks for this courageous decision to follow his conscience vs. $$$

18. Dolores May on December 18, 2016 at 9:52 pm

This fan is going to gift his music for Christmas presents. I want to support Garth because he said “no” to being a part of the saddest day for our country. Thanks, Garth!

19. Donna Evans on December 19, 2016 at 12:46 am

Garth has friends in low places-lots of them. He does not need Donald!

20. Martha Bellew-Smith on December 19, 2016 at 9:02 am

Never liked Garth Brooks’ sound. never bought one of his CDs. Buying my first today. It will be a gift to someone.

21. Dee on December 19, 2016 at 12:39 pm

Garth was raised here in Yukon Okla. His mother was a warm honest outspoken loving person and she taught him to be the same. This does not surprise me because he has always been a man of conviction and believes that what you say or sing sends a message and your words mean something. I would have been shocked if Garth had accepted being anywhere near a stage and the like of Trump.

22. Ellen on December 19, 2016 at 1:04 pm

I suspect this his given him more positive exposure than he would have gotten if he’d agreed. Good for him.

23. Peter gomez on December 19, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Garth Brooks has always been my favorite country performer, I’m happy to hear this ! What a statement from a great man !

24. Marla Booth on December 19, 2016 at 9:34 pm

I’m going to purchase some Garth Brooks music right now for the first time! I hope others do the same to show our support.

25. Dave on December 20, 2016 at 2:03 pm