Why the Democrats have to be the ones to clean house

I need your help: If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now

Movies tell stories, and the best of them leave their footprints forever etched in our minds and our souls. Growing up, I was always watching movies. I adored all sorts of movies. And there was one actor I looked up to the most.

It was Kevin Spacey. Spacey was, for me, the epitome of a movie star whose talent seemed limitless. House of Cards is one of my all-time favorite shows, and films like “American Beauty” and “Usual Suspects” did indeed find their way into my heart.

Then it all fell apart for Spacey, as indeed most of you are aware. It was a bitter pill to swallow. So is the resignation of Governor Andrew Cuomo. I agree with Bill Palmer as well as writers Jesse Green and Robert Harrington. Cuomo needed to resign, and it is good that he did.

The purpose of this article is not to change any minds on that but to maybe lesson a bit of the bitterness I have seen over this — because there is much.

First off, my feeling is that had he not resigned, he would have been impeached anyway. I also do not think this was a plot by the GOP.

Like it or not, a report was issued. Thousands of people were spoken with. It was in the Governor’s best interest to step down. I have seen many comments saying that we are always the ones who punish our own. The GOP never does. I beg to differ. Remember Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly? Indeed remember Richard Nixon and Watergate? I could go on.

But the point is — we have to be better than they are. We must always be able to hold our own accountable. This does not mean one cannot feel sadness at the way this whole thing played out. It also does not mean the Governor never did anything good. Most people are not all good nor all bad. One can remember the Governor fondly for the GOOD he did while still holding him accountable for the not-so-good.

I need your help: If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now