Texas Republicans have kicked a hornet’s nest

I need your help: If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now

In the wake of a certain corrupt court setting back human rights a few decades, businesses have stepped up to the plate to support their employees who make the choice to terminate their pregnancies, along with providing financial assistance to employees needing to travel to another state. One of the companies that is doing so is Chicago based law firm Sidley Austin, which has offices in Texas. (The same Sidley Austin where President Obama once worked).

Of course the Texas Taliban…excuse me I meant Texas Freedom Caucus…didn’t like that and sent Sidley a threatening letter saying that helping its employees could expose their attorneys to civil and criminal penalties, along with the Texas State Bar disbarring them. That did not have the effect the Texas Taliban desired.

Sidley and other big law firms operating in Texas are not showing any intention of kneeling before the Texas Taliban, and “may have kicked a hornet’s nest” in making threats to law firms. As leaders in these firms have indicated it’s likely to only strengthen the conviction of law firms and lawyers to support reproductive rights. And even if the Texas Taliban were to prevail it would likely cause quite a bit of brain drain as attorneys start looking at friendlier jurisdictions to move to, and cause firms to look at how much if any business they do in places like Texas.

One big law firm leader whose firm operated in Texas said, ““I don’t know how smart it is to go after a bunch of lawyers. We can all spend endless time and energy playing it through.” I get the feeling the Texas Taliban is about to learn that the hard way.

I need your help: If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now