Major new move to protect the Post Office

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here

With Putin’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine dominating the news (and rightfully so), I’ve taken it upon myself to keep other important news in the forefront. One headline that was largely missed was the release of unfairly sentenced Pamela Moses. Now in more big news.

The Senate just overwhelming voted to pass a bipartisan bill to help save the US Post Office. Corrupt Postmaster General Louis DeJoy tried to destroy our beloved institution, which was included in the Postal Clause in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution to “establish Post Offices and post Roads” and “to make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for executing this task.”

Crucial in the new legislation, “the bill eliminates requirements USPS pre-fund retiree health benefits for current and retired employees for 75 years, a requirement no business or other federal entity faces.” This damaging requirement to pre-fund retiree health benefits forced into 2006 legislation by corrupt Republicans trying to destroy USPS has now been reversed. “USPS projects it would sharply reduce its pre-funding liability and save it roughly $27 billion over 10 years.” The House passed the bill in February, in a landslide bipartisan vote.

To get Republicans in the Senate on board required keeping DeJoy’s legislation that reduced transportation of mail by airplane resulting in slower mail delivery. But eliminating the pre-funding of retiree benefits legislation is a huge win for Democrats. The bill will now go to President Biden who is expected to sign it into law.

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here