How the hell does Andrea Mitchell still have a job at MSNBC?

I don’t enjoy being mean. I really don’t. And some cable news pundits are, by definition, better at what they do than others. If I were one myself, I’d be the worst one of all because it’s just not my arena. But everyone on the air, whether they offer anything of value to the news reporting process or not, seems to have a reason for being there. Some offer unique information. Some are charismatic. Some are just plain smart. Some aren’t great at their jobs but they have such great inside sources that it’s almost excusable. But why the hell does Andrea Mitchell have a job?

I’m not picking on Andrea Mitchell at random. It’s just that she keep forcing the question each time she appears in MSNBC or NBC News. This week, when Donald Trump and his surrogates began floating the desperate and thoroughly evidence-free suggestion that Hillary Clinton’s health might somehow be a problem, even the most controversy-loving cable news pundits all shot it down. Except for Mitchell, who decided to go ahead and speculate that Hillary might indeed have some unspecified health issue, while not bothering to back it up with anything. And this is pretty much all she ever does.

Back in middle school we all knew the unpopular kid who was so desperate to be seen as the cool one that he or she would indulge in nonstop gossip. Andrea Mitchell is that kid. She gossips gleefully and randomly about Hillary Clinton, seemingly just making up whatever pops into her head, as if that’s what cable news pundits are supposed to do.

It would be different if Mitchell had any real info to provide. Plenty of television pundits do their job in an obnoxious way, but at least they deliver information. They’re skilled at developing inside sources or making friends within campaigns, so they end up being the first phone call when someone in politics wants someone in the news business to know something that they can’t announce themselves.

But Andrea Mitchell’s gossip is so useless, so routinely based in nothing, that it appears she has no sources or political relationships. Worse than being the kid who gossips about those who aren’t in the room in order to impress those who are in the room, she’s the kid who can’t get hands on any real gossip so she makes up gossip. Even by the increasingly tabloid standards of cable news, her reporting is a cringe-worthy embarrassment.

There are those who have suggested that she only still has her job because she’s married to Alan Greenspan, the former powerful Chairman of the Federal Reserve. I’ve never seen any evidence to connect those dots. Nor am I willing to accept the premise, without evidence, that a woman only has her job because of her husband. The reality is that NBC must have some reason for keeping Andrea Mitchell on the air. The network must be under the impression that someone somewhere enjoys watching her reporting. But when I talk to people all across the political spectrum, I can’t find anyone of the sort. I’m not trying to be mean. I just don’t get it.

If you appreciate the investigative reporting of Palmer Report, consider making a contribution:

Support us: PayPalGoFundMe
Bill Palmer is the founder and editor in chief of the political news outlet Palmer Report

Keep up to date with the latest Palmer Report articles via email.
Get the latest content first.
We respect your privacy.

33 Comments

1. Margarett Floyd on August 21, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Okay I’ve had issues since President Obama’s 2008 campaign with Andrea Mitchell. She is a serious HATER of Hillary Clinton. HRC’s political career, her positions held, and her Universal respect. JEALOUS! It’s so obvious and I’ve thought this for sometime. She needs to stop because this meanness is showing in her face. She’s one sorry individual.

• Sharon on August 22, 2016 at 7:02 am

I agree. She so obviously hates Hillary! Everytime she comes on I wonder why that woman still works for NBC!!

• Marc on August 23, 2016 at 10:13 pm

I thought it was just me. I had to stop watching her show about a year ago.

2. Cyndi on August 21, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Hillary criticized something Alan Greenspan said one time and Andrea Mitchell has been after her ever since.

3. Willie Rushing on August 21, 2016 at 11:30 pm

She never drill down to get the facts. Leaves everything hanging to speculation.

4. Ron on August 22, 2016 at 1:52 am

She is MSNBC’s Willard Scott.

• lizbeth on August 24, 2016 at 8:45 am

Willard Scott was a sweetheart, a little goofy…Andrea Mitchell is just a nasty ‘B’….

5. James Church on August 22, 2016 at 3:26 am

Because she’s married to Alan Greenspan

• Margie Glenn on August 24, 2016 at 3:40 pm

I can not stand Andrea, I am praying to God that Hillary is elected. Trump is flawed 1000
      % worse than Hillary.

6. Vera Simons on August 22, 2016 at 4:25 am

I totally agree. Her partisan attitude, attitude, And her untruths are so appalling. So unprofessional. She is more like a gossip columnist.

7. Kate Mount on August 22, 2016 at 4:29 am

Jealousy ~ pure and simple. It perhaps isn’t enough to fire her but I would think it’s enough that over the years she could have been formally spoken to, have had those conversations documented, and then over time pushed further and further back down the line-up until she either became completely irrelevant and wanted to leave or they had enough on her that they actually could make changes and let her go (which would be the best case scenario, so that perhaps other networks would hesitate to pick her up). She blatently bias against Secretary Clinton, I can’t watch anything Mitchell appears on anymore.

8. Dorisjo on August 22, 2016 at 5:13 am

I thought that I was the only one that didn’t like Andrea Mitchell’s reporting. She not only has nothing to report she has a hard time getting it out of her mouth. She stumbles and rambles like she’s trying to think of something to say.

9. Mary E. Vinyard on August 22, 2016 at 6:05 am

Andrea Mitchell doesn’t fit my mold of being a jealous loser. She’s obviously made something of herself. so I guess she’s not a loser, she’s just jealous. She needs to stop it, or MSNBC needs to stop her.

10. Thatswhatshesaid on August 22, 2016 at 6:25 am

I have wondered for the last 8 yrs. Why oh Why she is still on the air. She did/does the same with President Obama!!!!

• Brenda on August 24, 2016 at 9:59 am

Surprise people only start seeing this with Hillary. Andrea Mitchell inside-government source (people she pal around with) are obviously Obama haters. Her coverage of Obama ALWAYS push the NEGATIVE story line. ‘My sources say…’

11. John on August 22, 2016 at 7:23 am

I’ve watched MSNBC for approx the past 8/10 years, and like everyone seen people come and go. And was once a fan of the narccistic Keith O, glad to see him go/prove he can’t keep a job, Loved Ed, until he became mouthpiece for Bernie/trashing HRC, I watch Hardball….and Rachel, I like the people they regularly have on. Regarding Andrea, anyone who swallows every word/story by her/anyone is …well .. Let’s jut say uninformed. Is she the worst? Hardly. The best? No. The health story is bogus and we know it, our time is better spent getting HRC elected, than fussing about the coverage.

12. Katie on August 22, 2016 at 7:24 am

I’ve read her husband is some important Republican. At any rate if she’s reporting, I just turn the channel

• Judith on August 23, 2016 at 9:39 pm

her husband is economist Alan Greenspan, the guy who was SURE trickle-down was going to work.
      It didn’t. Alan Greenspan is SO OLD he actually used to date Fascist Libertarian Annoying Writer Ayn Rand.

13. Bill Baird on August 22, 2016 at 7:55 am

And why do they keep bringing her husband on TV as an expert.

14. Lynn Taylor on August 22, 2016 at 8:27 am

It must be that Mitchell’s appeal the the conservative leaning viewers keeps the ratings up for the network. She always inflates any faux scandal for as long as possible, particularly if it harms democrats and particularly Hillary Clinton. She’s was guilty of that long before this campaign. It must be a ratings thing.

15. Karen martin on August 22, 2016 at 1:46 pm

She is a disgrace — to her profession, to anyone ignorant enough to hire her, and to her peers.

• Jeana Journey on August 24, 2016 at 5:38 am

I agree! Mitchell is hateful! Cannot watch her. Turn the channel.

16. Karen on August 22, 2016 at 4:52 pm

And she’s not very well-spoken. Pauses and stumbles a lot. If she has some kind of disease or disorder, that could be why they’re keeping her.

17. Bbkenn on August 22, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I don’t get it either.

18. Janet Zagoria on August 22, 2016 at 10:26 pm

I’m so glad you wrote this article. I have also wondered for years why is it that other journalists are always fawning over her, or maybe just because she has been at it for so long that they need to do this. I find her boring, first of all. Secondly, I try to follow her train of thought and it is so muddled and leaves me more confused than when I started. And, as you say, her conclusions, insinuations and outright misstatements about someone (mostly Hillary but others as well) leave me scratching my head how she gets away with it. She is always saying she has sources who give her the real story on something but time and time again, I have already heard that from other pundits who don’t say they have “sources.” I have been suspicious of her because of her husband but I have really tried to be fair but have not been given any reason to like her.

19. Peggy R on August 23, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Get Andrea Mitchell off the air. She acting like a 13 year brat. She is a waste of time. I stopped watching MSNBC because of her. She talks about nothing any intelligent person wants to hear. Gossip is all it is. Talk about issues, issues, issues. Stop drinking Trump’s vomit.

20. Marilyn on August 24, 2016 at 5:26 am

MS. MITCHELL IS A HAS BEEN. THAT NEED TO STOP THE MADNESS

21. Brenda on August 24, 2016 at 10:32 am

Andrea Mitchell is where she’s at because she has a lot of inside connections. As a journalist she’s been around the political Elite for decades. She can get interviews with HIGH government officials, Senators, Congress people before anyone else.
    She’s been accused of being an ‘Insider’/bias reporting.
    I remember she addressed this issue in the past on her show. Nevertheless, I can’t stand her jealousy against the Obama’s and now Hillary. Anyone who UNJUSTLY says something negative; about someone ALL THE TIME, has to be a hater. Her bias/negative reporting is nothing new. Andrea been doing this against Obama for 8 years.

22. Alicia Torres-Gustave on August 24, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Ok, I agree with the author of this story. Many times while watching MSNBC Andrea Mitchell has come on an after a few minutes, I turn off my TV or change the channel because of exactly what the author said. She is extremely biased and offers no proof of the things she says. I agree that it is time for her to be let go and replaced with someone else.

23. Rose Scott on August 24, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Finally!!! I’ve complained to MSNBC several times that Andrea Mitchell is ready to retire. She was a great reporter in her time, but she cannot anchor.

24. Djc on August 27, 2016 at 7:56 am

I am soooo glad I am not the only one that has seen this!! I really think she is jealous of Hillary!! I don’t watch her anymore when she comes on!

25. Linda Sterling on August 28, 2016 at 7:41 am

Aside from any personal agenda people have against Andrea, I find that she can read a teleprompter OK, but when it comes to asking questions on her own, she stumbles/bumbles and basically sounds a bit demented, as if she’s having trouble putting words together to form a coherent sentence. I believe her time has come to step down …. gracefully before she totally embarrasses herself.

26. Karen Foggin on November 18, 2016 at 8:06 am

I stopped watching her show and I DVR all daytime MSNBC program except hers. I miss Alex.