We’re running out of time

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here

Warning: this is not a feel-good story. In solidarity with fellow Palmer Report writer Robert Harrington, I also argue that Climate Change is the gravest issue we face today. I don’t have a solution except to vote democrat up and down ballot.

For all their Christian activism, Republicans have staunchly supported dirty energy, in utter disregard for the planet and for the survival of our children. The Bible clearly says God calls on mankind to be stewards of the Earth and take measures to protect the environment. Nonetheless, Republicans have weaponized climate change, making it taboo to discuss in politics. So, Democrats must make it a major issue in the November midterms.

You don’t have to read dystopian fiction to get a sense of impending climate doom. Just look at Pakistan and India, where, like a canary in a coalmine, birds are literally falling out of the sky dropping dead from the heat. The human body cannot handle extreme heat either. The “wet-bulb temperature” is the heat threshold for sweat to evaporate and for the body to cool down.

Or read non-fiction, such as David Eggers’ “Zeitoun.” This tale of one man’s struggle to save humans and animals after G.W. Bush’s disastrous response to Hurricane Katrina will haunt you. Every time I make efforts to provide water and plant life to nurture the wildlife in my own yard, I am reminded of the heartbreaking efforts of Zeitoun. But we must try.

Although Biden didn’t declare a climate emergency this week – yet – he said it is not off the table. Declaring a climate emergency would allow Biden to put more restrictions on fossil fuels, and further ramp up his current alternative energy projects. But all of those would likely be blocked in court by Republicans anyway. In the meantime, he announced new action boosting cleaner energy sources.

After Manchin thwarted efforts by Congress to pass climate legislation, it’s more important than ever for Democrats to gain two more Senate seats and hold the House to take real action and save our suffering planet.

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here