This is infuriating

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now

A group of volunteers recently put up a memorial exhibit in Washington, DC at the Washington Monument. This memorial exhibit consists of a field of white flags, with each flag representing one American death from COVID-19. The exhibit continues through October 3rd. People were encouraged to write messages to loved ones who died of COVID on flags, and volunteers were available to write messages for people unable to visit in person. Over 680,000 flags are in this exhibit, which covers over 20 acres of land:

It’s a moving and beautiful tribute to those who died, often alone and away from their families. It puts a stunning face on the amount of death in this country over the past 1.5 years.

I don’t know about anyone else, but it’s also infuriating for me to see so many flags. Last February it was estimated that about 40% of the COVID deaths had been preventable. And now with vaccination nearly all recent COVID deaths are preventable. In that if people able to had just gotten all the goddamn shots needed, many would not have died. Yes, they might’ve still gotten sick but probably would have survived.

I blame the former guy and his disciples in the GQP such as Reynolds, Abbott, DeSantis, Johnson, Noem, and so on for so much of this. If not for their disastrous response to the pandemic and their fighting tooth and nail against any efforts to bring the pandemic to an end, that field of flags would have been so much smaller. There would still be lots of people alive today and the pandemic would be on its way to becoming a thing of the past. So I leave it to everyone’s imaginations what I think of former guy and the GQP since it’s not family friendly.

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now