This is all going wrong for Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here

Palmer Report has been discussing the widening rift between Rudy Giuliani and Donald Trump, likening it to an impending divorce. The grounds are irreconcilable differences – Rudy apparently now wants Trump to pay him for promoting the Big Lie in court (and the occasional lawn service parking lot) and for Rudy’s defense in defamation suits and a federal criminal investigation against him, and Donald Trump doesn’t want to pay him – despite amassing over $100 million ostensibly to press his Big Lie case in court.

In this ugly Trump-Giuliani split, there is no “good” side, only evil. Anything bad they say about each other is likely accurate. Giuliani is, indeed, a terrible lawyer, who made a bad case worse. Trump is, indeed, a seditionist trying to take down the country rather than conceding his ignominious defeat at the polls. Rudy tried (poorly) to help him accomplish this.

Moreover, Trump has undoubtedly committed countless other crimes that Rudy is aware of. The good news is, there doesn’t have to be a winner in this battle. Seeing them take each other down would be the happiest possible outcome.

In that regard, remember a while back, as Trump’s first impeachment was going on, when Rudy said he had “an insurance policy” in case Trump turned on him? Let’s hope this is true and not just some more BS from Rudy.

After being heard to make the insurance comment, Giuliani said, according to Politico, “I mean, I’ve seen things written like he’s going to throw me under the bus. When they say that, I say, ‘He isn’t, but I have insurance.’”

Giuliani later claimed in a tweet, that “The statement I’ve made several times of having an insurance policy, if thrown under bus, is sarcastic . . .” But now, Rudy’s ever more anxious comments seem to indicate that the realization is finally beginning to dawn on him that Trump is not, as Giuliani called him at the time, a “very loyal guy.”

Giuliani’s naivete was also on display when he took on Trump’s Big Lie cases. After an associate of his reportedly asked the Trump campaign to pay him $20,000 a day, Giuliani told the New York Times in November 2020, “I never asked for $20,000.” He also told the paper that Trump had indicated he would make sure Giuliani was paid when the cases were finished. “The arrangement is, we’ll work it out at the end.”

Then, in January, Giuliani admitted to The Times that his associate had, in fact asked for $20,000 per day, but claimed this was without his knowledge, and that he had told Trump “I don’t want to be paid.” Rudy further told The Times, “I never had a single expectation of being paid a penny.” Lucky thing, because Trump often doesn’t pay people even when he does have a contract, so Rudy was dreaming if he ever actually expected Trump to do right by him without one.

Giuliani may at last be starting to understand that Trump is not going to treat him any differently than anyone else who has ceased to be useful to him. Rudy even acknowledged, briefly, that he realizes that he is being “left to the slaughter” by Trump. So, to save his own neck, if Rudy does indeed have “insurance” against Trump, he ought to play that card before it is too late.

Finally, as with any divorce, a big question is who gets custody of the kids. Trump and Giuliani may try to foist Junior and Andrew on each other, but prosecutors may swoop in and take custody of Don Jr. before these two model dads can work out a deal.

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here