The downfall of Louis DeJoy

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now

Louis DeJoy is not going to leave of his own accord. He doesn’t care if the current administration and the current Congress does not want him as Postmaster General. He is going to continue his trajectory until he is stopped. He is just another Trump appointee who is not working for the good of the American people.

He comes out with this big 10 year plan cutting service and cutting the budget. This plan is unwanted by the American people. The Post Office is doing what they can with what they have been permitted to do.

On February 24, 2021, President Biden nominated 2 Democrats and 1 Independent to fill the vacancies on the Board of Governors. It is the Board of Governors that hire and fire the Postmaster General, so President Biden’s nominations need to be confirmed by the Senate. Maybe this 10 year budget will light a fire under the Senate committee. Currently, there are 7 members on the 11 member board, with 5 Republican members.

So there will be 5 Republicans and 4 Democrats and 1 Independent. However, one of those Republicans is the Postmaster General, who would be unlikely to vote on his own tenure. After those nominations are confirmed, the tenure of DeJoy can be addressed. One of Biden’s nominees, Ron Stroman, was recently the Deputy Postmaster General. The position of the Deputy Postmaster General is vacant on the Board.

“Get used to me,” he told lawmakers on February 24, 2021, adding he would remain in his job for “a long time.” I think the American people would rather raise postage costs than continue with this slow service that cannot handle the increased pressure in fourth quarter every year. And I think the American people do not want DeJoy to continue as Postmaster General.

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now