Just keeps getting worse for Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now

Changes to firearms laws here in Iowa are set to go into effect on Thursday that would more readily allow people to buy handguns and carry them in public without training or a permit. In addition to removing the state permit requirements, the law also allows people to buy guns without a background check if they purchase the gun from a private seller.

This comes on news that a record 353 Iowa residents died by gunshot wounds in 2020, with homicides jumping by more than 80%. This was after 287 Iowans died in 2019 from gunshot wounds, which itself shattered the previous record. I doubt it’s going to get any better now that CovidKim Reynolds and her GQP buddies in the legislature have removed these reasonable restraints on firearms ownership in the state. States so far have not fared well, with studies showing that homicides often increase in such states by 25% or more. It also leads to an increase in suicides as people in crisis find it easier to buy weapons to end their lives.

At one point, CovidKim said the permitting process Iowa had was fair and reasonable. We can now see she was full of it and was waiting along with her fellow GQP members to flood the state with firearms.

I am not 100% opposed to firearms ownership. I believe there are good reasons for responsible people to carry firearms – be it for protection, hunting, or sport. But at the same time I believe the government should be able to regulate firearms use and ownership and keep them out of the hands of people who should not have firearms. It’s a shame Iowa’s Branch Trumpvidian government doesn’t feel the same.

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now