Bad news for Texas Governor Greg Abbott

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now

There are a lot of questions regarding the Texas race for Governor right now. It is an intriguing race to be sure. And now there is a bit of news. Reportedly actor Mathew McConaughey has been making calls to potential donors.

I wrote an article a while ago about the possibility McConaughey might make a run. Many were not happy. Many said the last thing we need is another celebrity with no experience. I respectfully disagree. Let’s break it down.

McConaughey has been interested in politics for years. And as a Texan, he is deeply concerned about the way his state is being run.

There is also the fact that Texas, while on its way to trending purple, isn’t quite there yet. We can beat Governor Abbott. We just need a charismatic and intelligent candidate to do it.

And as I mentioned in my previous article, in a hypothetical poll between Matt and the Texas Governor, Matt was substantially ahead. Now, that could change. We do not yet know McConaughey’s policy positions on many things. But this poll DOES show that Abbott can be beaten with the right candidate.

And many have suggested Beto O’Rourke is that candidate. But he has not announced yet, and we do not know if he will.

We do not know if Matt would run as a Democrat. But I’d be surprised if he didn’t. He’d certainly have a better chance if he did.

And lastly, were I a Texas resident, I’d vote for my cat over Abbott. He’s a terrible Governor, one of the worst, despite his experience.

So, in this case, I’ve no doubt almost anyone could and would do better. But right now, everything’s up in the air. However, Matt has been quietly speaking to some influential people. We will have to see where this goes.

Attention Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here
-----
Note from Bill Palmer: if each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now