Anti-Trumpism in… Texas?

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here

There is an upcoming special election in Texas on May 1st that deserves some attention because it may provide some insight into the GOP’s identity crisis. It’s a “jungle-style” race to replace the late House Republican Ron Wright, 6th Congressional District, with numerous candidates from both parties competing.

Of course, I would prefer a Democrat prevail, however unlikely. But I am curious to see how much Republican support is given to one Michael Wood, who is campaigning against Trumpism. He actually complained when the GOP was focused on Mr. Potato Head instead of Biden’s Covid relief bill.

Wood garnered national attention when he tweeted on March 27th, from @MichaelWoodTx: “Sidney Powell lied to you. Rudy lied to you. Fox and NewsMax lied to you. Congressional R’s lied to you. The President lied to you. Hate me if you want, but I’m the only Republican in this race who respects you enough to tell you the truth. And I always will.”

I would be more inclined to believe Wood if he would call out Gov. Abbott on his lies, which he hasn’t done to my knowledge, and he has also apparently supported Abbott’s stances on Covid protection or lack thereof — also not good.

Elected Republicans have attempted to go the anti-Trumpism route to no avail, but Wood has received donations from Adam Kizinger and Liz Cheney, who of course want the GOP to dump Trump.

On his website, the Marine Corps combat veteran frames this election as “the first battle in this war to take back our party.” Some news outlets are calling this race a test to see if anti-Trumpism works, but I hardly see a Texas race with numerous candidates as an ideal test situation. Still, it will be interesting to see how well he does.

Trump is on trial! If each of you reading this can kick in $10 or $25, it'll help keep Palmer Report firing on all cylinders at this crucial time in our nation's history: Donate now
-----
Palmer Report readers: sign up for our free mailing list here