Michael Cohen, former fixer and covfefe for “President” Donald Trump, will appear publicly before the House Oversight Committee on February 27, 2019. Better get the popcorn and the toaster ready, because based on what is on the list of topics and what Cohen is now disclosing about “irregularities” (appearing to be insurance claims) at the Trump Organization, it will be “Toast” Trump that Cohen is fixin’. In the February 20, 2019, letter to Cohen, Chairman Elijah Cummings sets forth a wide range of topics:
• the President’s debts and payments relating to efforts to influence the 2016 election;
• the President’s compliance with financial disclosure requirements;
• the President’s compliance with campaign finance laws;
• the President’s compliance with tax laws;
• the President’s potential and actual conflicts of interest;
• the President’s business practices;
• the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.;
• the accuracy of the President’s public statements;
• potentially fraudulent or inappropriate practices by the Trump Foundation; and
• public efforts by the President and his attorney to intimidate Mr. Cohen or others not to testify.
That is a comprehensive list and, provided Cohen has knowledge on these topics, it is significant to the fate of Donald Trump and his family and Trump Organization. It is possible that the strategy of Cohen here is to provide assistance to the prosecutors as the law provides potential reduction of his sentence if he can help in a substantial way.
On Friday, as noted, Michael Cohen was reported to have provided prosecutors with evidence of insurance transactions that were not appropriate, and likely signals where Cohen is headed with his testimony. Cohen has top notch Chicago criminal defense attorney Michael Monico representing him now. Michael and Michael likely have mapped out the best course for Cohen, and from the sounds of it, Trump Toast will be the latest Trump branded product to be going down.