Hard hitting Joy-Ann Reid is trying to redefine cable news. I hope it works.

It happened yet again this week. Even as a former Governor tried to make his case by using factually incorrect statements, Joy-Ann Reid shut him down without hesitation. Not only did she have the inherent background knowledge to spot his misinformation, she had the fortitude to jump in and cut him off and set him straight. This was even better than when Reid had dropped “No ma’am!” on a guest a few weeks ago who thought she could get away with similar disinformation. Joy’s approach on MSNBC has been stunning, if only because it’s been happening on cable news.

Whether those involved want to admit it or not, cable news loves the idea of finding a way to cover their bases with the various segments of their audience. And for networks like MSNBC and CNN, that means selling out to those in the middle who believe every story should be treated as if it were 50-50 whether it is or not.

If the facts of a particular news story happen to heavily side with one candidate in an election while making clear that the other candidate is simply making things up, there are those viewers who simply don’t want to hear it. If you report the factually supported truth, they view you as biased in favor of whichever side the truth happens to support on that issue. If you merely relay what both sides have to say without bothering to poke holes in the side that’s lying, that’s what the false-equivalency viewers want to hear. But it appears Joy Reid simply has no interest in allowing that to happen.

In the past week a number of on-air personalities on CNN and MSNBC have finally begun at least mildly pushing back against what is now a nearly nonstop parade of factually false claims coming from the Donald Trump surrogates who appear on air. I’m relieved that they’re finally doing their jobs for the first time in this election, but I’m not impressed. Now that the majority of Americans appear to have concluded that Trump and his people are full of it, it’s become safe for reporters to hit back.

In contrast, Joy-Ann Reid has been pushing back against the false claims of the guests and surrogates on her show for as long as she’s had a show. And it’s not specific to the Trump campaign’s lies. There’s no way a Hillary Clinton surrogate would be able to get any disinformation past her either. Reid has become the new standard bearer for hard hitting cable news journalism, not in the “in your face” kind of way, but more like a friendly mild mannered referee who doesn’t hesitate to throw a flag as needed.

So what now? As the election seems to be entering a stage where real-time fact checking of guests by cable news reporters appears to be increasingly smiled upon, one can only hope that Reid’s brand of journalism takes hold. Her stock at MSNBC appears to be rising, as she was recently tapped to fill in for one of its prime time shows. My readers at Daily News Bin keep telling me they hope to see her in a more prominent role. I’m inclined to agree.

If you appreciate the investigative reporting of Palmer Report, consider making a contribution:

Bill Palmer is the founder and editor in chief of the political news outlet Palmer Report
Keep up to date with the latest Palmer Report articles via email.
Get the latest content first.
We respect your privacy.

11 Comments

1. Joyce ford on August 21, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Yes I hope we could see her everyday.

2. Watching You on August 22, 2016 at 3:11 am

I love Joy Reid and her style. I also like Rachel and Lawrence O’Donnell and their styles. I would like to see someone with a style we would like replace Chris Matthews’s and Joe Scarborough’s shows.

3. Nancy Minter on August 22, 2016 at 4:39 am

Joy Reid is the best

4. pamela troike on August 22, 2016 at 7:56 am

I love what she is doing cant wait to see more so excited about this

5. Larry jones on August 22, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Facts are in short supply- and what the American Citizen needs to make a rational decision. We cannot be led to the right or the left by shepdogs parading as news stations, when infact they have their own agenda. Our founding fathers dictate was for a educated population- not schooled in science or trigonometry- but on the facts and truth of the current state of our nations policies and legal agreements with which every person would be involded in when casting their ballot or sending their child off to war. Today we are educated by our News – and sadly misled and divided by those masquerading as “News.” People want and are in need of TRUTH, to be finally EDUCATED as to the what decisions to make so we may may lead our nation- and never be lead again.

6. Dave Reynolds on August 22, 2016 at 10:41 pm

I’ve been watching Joy Reid since she first began as an on air commentator for MSNBC. She has always been fast on her feet and exhibited a thorough command of well-researched facts, and her journalistic presentation evolves with each daily broadcast. Trite as it may sound, she is a Joy to watch. MSNBC has an asset in Joy Reid that only grows more pronounced with each broadcast day, and I always knew she had it in her!

7. sonia on August 23, 2016 at 12:51 pm

She is amazing! I watch her show on Sunday’s. Was happy when she hosted the 8pm show. Hope she can get that slot.

8. Darlene Burns on August 27, 2016 at 3:43 pm

In my estimation Joy Reid is the cream of the crop! I love her program and drop everything to watch.

9. Mary Little on August 30, 2016 at 6:38 am

She is a breathe of fresh air..

10. Gena on November 20, 2016 at 8:33 am

I miss Joy. I miss her whole-heartedly. I miss her because as of Wednesday, November 9th this is the first and only bit of political jargon I have seen, heard, or put in my purview. I am STILL in the fetal position – sucking my thumb. I am having too difficult of a time believing we let this happen – though, I do hope that from this comes the true recognition that the electoral college is not(no longer) a true representation of the American will, but a crass, and legal, way politicians are using the ‘system’ to do whatever is necessary to gain and/or hold onto power. As this is the second time, in my generation, this happened (Bush v. Gore), please let us pay attention, support, and further Senator Boxer’s introduction of the bill to end the Electoral College.

11. Trish on November 21, 2016 at 8:09 pm

I like Joy Reid. I’m glad she’s pushing back. But they continue to have people on when they already know what they are going to say before they come on the show and they know they are going to lie, so it would be even better if they didn’t invite known liars on the shows in the first place. Maybe they should say, you can’t just come on the show and lie or we won’t have you on. But hurray for a little push-back!